Biometrical identity document is a card in size of a credit card or a passport page. The document can be printed on a plastic card or paper, having necessary degrees of protection, then after printing it is laminated.
The following information is printed on the document:
- Number of the document;
- Photo of the owner of the document;
- Surname, name and other data about of the owner of the document;
- Date of issue, date of expiry of the document;
- Data about the agency issued the document;
- Two-dimensional bar code, containing biometrical information, data about of the owner of the document and electronic-digital signature;
- Additional information, which is necessary for the customer.
As a biometrical parameter a fingerprint sample of the owner of the document is used. For better reliability of identification two samples of fingerprints from the right and the left hands are inserted in the document. It is significant that used biometrical sample of fingerprint is not a photo of a fingerprint, it is a digital code, formed on the basis of this imprint. Thus, it is impossible to restore real fingerprint with the help of the sample.
One of the advantages of the suggested modification of biometrical identity document is its high level of protection from environmental factors, for example water or electromagnetic field. Also error correcting is foreseen, which positively affects the readout reliability. And in case if the document is nevertheless seriously damaged, then it could be seen with unaided eye and the document could be timely renewed. These factors distinguish the bar code from other technologies — magnetic strip or a RFID-chip. The owner of the document can not define on his own whether the chip is out of order. Standard design was chosen as a bar code, and namely a two-dimensional bar code of PDF417 standard, and it is supported by great number of producers. Another advantage of the bar code is that it is impossible to read it remotely, i.e. without owner’s permission.
An important element of the document is an electronic-digital signature, which is also held in the bar code and identifies the authenticity of essential elements of the document and biometrical parameters. Moreover, the document can be protected by traditional methods of document protection: microprinting, special paper, effects when lighted by different ranges of light, hologram etc.
We can distinguish the following main advantages of the suggested type of identity document:
- Simplicity and cheapness of production;
- High degree of protection from environmental factors;
- Capability of exact identification of the owner.